Monday

If you want more RL Experiences, You have to leave the Internet.

The story:
I used to spend pretty much all my free time on the internet, I used it less like a tool and more like a place I lived my life. Then I stopped.

My problem: I wanted adventures but the internet absorbed all my time

I would wake up, go on the internet(reddit), then in an instant I made hours disappear. I wanted to live a life where I actually had life experiences, I was trying to apply the Tall Grass Principle to meeting human beings and having things actually happen. 

The solution: I went outside.

I decided that reddit wasn't getting me anywhere, I stopped all use of reddit. And starting on New Years I went out to celebrate New Years and the adventures began (And none of which I will share on the internet). For the rest of break, I went outside whenever I could, I started running. It wasn't easy, but my New Years Resolution was to break my lack of:


Discipline and Delayed Gratification

Something if I ever did have. Reddit and the internet killed. So I tried to see why people do this funny thing they call "Socializing". Which was pretty hard for me to do at first and I still am not fantastic at it, but I force myself to try to talk to people as much as possible, sticking through the initial awkwardness, like trudging through mud, but it can be rewarding.


Results:

Well its been about a month so far and I don't miss reddit that much, I skim through news.ycombinator.com once a day, and its a pretty good (and extreme) distillation of what's good on the internet. I have made many more friends and have many more stories to tell.

I still prefer doing active things with people (Tae Kwon Do, Yoga, Drawing, Acting, Singing, Running, Exercising, attending Cons, dancing, and most of all going on Adventures way more then I enjoy simply talking with people, but I see its use, finally, in forging alliances, friendships).


TL;DR
If you spend time IRL, you will have life experiences.

P.S.
If you have any questions, like what to do with all the gained time spent away from the internet, I can do a post on that. Other than that I'll update in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment